Monday, May 30, 2011

Sweet & Salty Mini-Mallow Treats

This is probably TMI, but I have to tell you. I occasionally sweat in my elbow-pits. You know, that area between your forearm and your upper arm? Yeah. It's a little weird, I agree. Anyway. I'm telling you this because it's stupid-hot out, and our 90-year old rental home has the worst air conditioner. I swear, a litter of puppies making snowballs in the living room would cool me down quicker than this silly old creaky duct taped- box in the basement.

So the heat has been making me do silly things. Like, craving marshmallow square treats at 10 pm last night. And then dragging my husband to bike with me (pre-snack work-out) to the store to pick up mini-mallows, peanut butter, and mini-pretzels. And then not communicating with the husband about who would be bringing their wallet to pay for said ingredients. Oops. So, after our quasi-pointless workout/bike ride to the store, a pit-stop back home to pick up a wallet, and a car-ride over to the grocery store, I was back home, ready to make a gooey treat. And then I realized that I have NO.IDEA. how to make these dang treats.  True fact.  I ended up having to resort to googling step-by-step recipes for marshmallow square treats. Not only did I have to look this up, but I also struggled immensely trying to make the marshmallow-butter mixture, and left an explosion of butter-taffy all over the kitchen counter. I was basically 10 last night. Scratch that. 10 year-olds probably know exactly how to make the perfect rice krispie treat.

After spending a little too much time and effort (so much elbow-pit sweat, I kid you not) to make these treats, I was finally content. Crushed up pretzels, semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and peanut butter. All folded into this sticky, globular marshmallow treat monster.

And you know what? It was delicious.




Here's the recipe, in case you're also 10 and craving something amazing that doesn't require an oven:

adapted from Allrecipes:

Ingredients:
1 stick Butter or Margarine (1/2 cup)
1 11.5 oz bag Mini-Marshmallows
10 cups Crispy Rice cereal
2 cups crushed mini-pretzels
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
2 heaping spoonfuls of peanut butter

Steps:
1. Butter a 13x9 pan and set it aside.
2. Melt butter/margarine in microwave for 60 seconds.
3. Mix in marshmallows and re-heat for about another 60 seconds.
4. Mix together until gooey and blended well (no lumps).
5. Add in cereal, then the mix-ins (you might want to wait to add the chocolate chips until last, or else they'll all melt-- unless you want it that way!!).
6. Spoon everything into the greased pan, flatten with fork or hands until the treat is even in the pan
7. Wait until cooled (or stick it in the fridge for half an hour), and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment