Sunday, November 27, 2011

Inspired, and Thanks-eating (a vegan cheesecake).

Every time I browse 'real' blogs by highly creative and talented individuals, I'm always amazed at the quality of the subject (foodstuff) captured by the photographer/blogger. Since the only 'camera' we have is actually more of a video camera that also has a still setting (and no flash), and all of the photos I've been posting here have all been with my very old iphone, I've finally upgraded to a new phone with a fantastic camera. Now I officially don't have to be quite as shameful as I once was of my photography skills (which are still basically at a 0).



See? Our dog now looks way cuter and less blurry-by-accident due to a perma-smudge on my iphone camera lens. success!


This week, we had the in-laws in town for Thanksgiving, which was a perfect excuse to try out a vegan pumpkin cheesecake recipe I came across on Post Punk Kitchen . I should take time now to clarify something. The in-laws are meat-and-potatoes folk from South Dakota. True fact. So, although my dear husband gently suggested I not open up dessert-time with, "it's made with tofu and soy milk," it was my bad for not heeding to that cautionary note.

Regardless, hubby's mom truly seemed to enjoy it (considering her non-dairy needs, I think she was just excited she could have cheesecake again), and hubby's dad gave a mild grunt of approval (but quickly chose a leftover red velvet cupcake for dessert the following evening). I myself found the dessert surprisingly cheesecake-like in texture (creamy and smooth), and refreshingly citrus-y in flavor (thank you, orange zest and lemon juice). I have to admit it-- I cheated a bit and used regular graham crackers for the crust (which probably had a bit of dairy in it, but hubby's mom didn't seem to mind it at all), thereby basically tainting the whole vegan-ness of the cake, but at least it was a shared dessert among the four of us-- something we really hadn't done in a while.

No photos of the cheesecake-- I guess I was just too busy enjoying hot coffee, good conversation, and vegan dessert with family to notice I hadn't taken a quick shot of the concoction. That's not necessarily a bad thing, now, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment